Unknowable Mother



Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Work Life Lessons from 'Black Swan'

OK, I finally saw Black Swan in spite of warnings from family and friends.  I hate-loved it. Why do they go so over-the-top in horror movies?  There were moments where I almost laughed out loud even though blood was coming out everywhere and there was some serious damage being done with a nail file.

Black Swan is the story of a ballerina who wants to leave the corps to become a lead dancer.  I actually loved the overblown drama and the way the her story mirrored Swan Lake. She is a gorgeous, almost perfect dancer but has a crazy mother and a weirdly isolated life.  And, apparently the New York City Ballet is about as toxic as a workplace can be.  Might be due to my union and work life background but I started seeing it as a portrayal of all the ways work can really suck:  age discrimination, sexual harassment, overtime abuse, work life imbalance, unsafe conditions, no job security and lack of solidarity with other ballerinas. 

As one friend pointed out, this movie does not make being a ballerina look fun at all (understatement alert).  But I did appreciate how the movie provided some fairly useful work life lessons for those trapped in horrific jobs.  Here they are:

1.  It pays to be bold.

2.  Sometimes you ARE your own worst enemy - get out of your own way!

3.  Just because you are your own worst enemy, doesn't mean you don't have actual enemies.  Watch out!

4.  Don't isolate yourself at work.  Make at least one friend.  Form a union if possible.

5.  Your stuffed animals are probably holding you back. Declutter.

6.  It doesn't really pay to take your job home with you.  Take a break!

7. Too much overtime causes hallucinations.

8.  Perfectionism can be fatal.

9.  Listen to the person who had the job before you.  They know your future.

Maybe the appeal of horror movies is that there are moments that people can relate to - being late for work for example - that they are allowed to take to a bone-chilling extreme. 

I have loved hearing people's reactions to this movie.  My grandmother hated it.  My best friend loved it.  I only screamed loudly and uncontrollably once (for those of you who have seen an action film with me, this is a REAL accomplishment).  I still don't know if I would recommend it overall but I wasn't bored and I sure don't regret it.

3 comments:

  1. Jenya - I just woke up from a dreamless sleep - thank goodness. I was afraid watching Black Swan would give me a Beyonce-like "Beautiful Nightmares". I love your review and the work-life lessons you enumerated. One thing you may add to it is a health warning: Don't add drugs to work related stress - it makes one delusional and it can exacerbate split personality disorder causing sudden death in your own hands. (facebook.com/mltorre) -BTW -this may post via my son's google account, I don't know how else to post this comment, ;-) Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, I love your workers' rights perspective on this movie. Hilarious!

    I used to date a ballet dancer, and according to him, it is definitely not FUN. But those people have a special kind of commitment and passion. They are not like most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! And, I would be sooo intimidated to date one. I found this movie oddly thought-provoking. My grandmother will be so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete