Unknowable Mother



Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Seen anything 'amazing' lately?

I visited my grandmother in Orange County recently and I had an amazing time.  At least until she commented on how often I used the word "Amazing."  "Now you have mentioned at least eight 'amazing' things today," she said.  "I think people overuse that word.  When was the last time you were truly amazed?" She's right, of course. I now notice how often I and others around me claim that a person, place or thing is 'amazing.'  So I've (mostly) stopped.  It's a good thing - choosing words carefully.  Of course, I'm already missing my amazing friends and seeing amazing movies, reading amazing books, viewing amazing sunsets, and just, generally having an amazing time.  But I'll get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment