Unknowable Mother



Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Quarters and Vampires

I live in an apartment now.  I actually like the community feel of it.  And it sure was helpful to have a competent man with a toolbox next door when Twin2 got accidentally stuck in the bedroom while she and her sister were playing 'visit.'  I also like the convenience of having a washer and dryer that I don't have to pay to repair.  The only thing I don't like about the washer/dryer situation is that I now constantly need quarters.  Quarters.  QUARTERS.

I feel weirdly like a begger when I have to remember to ask for a roll of quarters each time I go to the grocery store or bank.  Even though it is my money 'buying' the quarters, I still feel incredibly grateful whenever someone complies which, so far, has been every time.   I would not feel this way if they were just giving me cash back or change. 

Sometimes, just to bypass the bad quarter feeling, I will go into a laundromat and get quarters from one of the machines.  I cannot make eye contact with the huge signs that read:  "Quarters for customers only!"  I will actually put on an act as if I am here to do laundry but I need to check things out first.  I will casually look around as if sizing up the machines.  I will then proceed to the quarter machine, put in my $5 or $10, have one last look at the washing machines (as if I plan to come right back with my laundry) and exit quarters in hand. Whew!  This is hard on the nervous system.

The constant need for quarters reminds me a little of why I think I would not like to be a vampire.  Besides the obvious moral issue of seducing and killing, what a hassle it would be!  It is like this for me - with three kids and two elderly, throwupy cats, I wake up every morning with the awareness that very soon I will need quarters again.  It weighs so heavily on me, sometimes I think I might as well have to find someone to suck the blood out of.  And, like a vampire's thirst for blood, it is never-ending!  Sometimes it feels like the laundry pile just won't get smaller no matter how many quarters I throw at it. 

Oh well, at least I am not a vampire who also needs quarters to do laundry.  That would REALLY suck.

2 comments:

  1. Haha Jenya you are a jewel! Keep up your humorous passages and see you at the Bohnett reunion--it's on facebook. grama Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sneaky quarter ruse is definitely something I would do. Not sure why the pretending makes it better but I would definitely do that too!

    ReplyDelete